I look up to two people in the arts management field: Deborah Borda (President/CEO, LA Phil) and Michael Kaiser (President, John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts). Both individuals are superstars because they bring creative leadership, organizational/fiscal oversight and strong artistic vision. During her tenure at the LA Phil, Borda developed a strategic plan to reinvigorate Walt Disney Concert Hall, led the Music Director search (which culminated in hiring Gustavo Dudamel in 2009, another hero of mine!), and executed LA Phil LIVE, a full concert performance that is broadcast live from the Walt Disney Concert Hall to audiences in movie theaters across the U.S.
Of course, Michael Kaiser, a.k.a the turnaround king, is revered for his work with organizations like the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater and the American Ballet Theatre. His achievements include creating the Kennedy Center Arts Management Institute (now called DeVos Institute for Arts Management) and establishing the Arts in Crisis program. Whew! And the list goes on and on. As an emerging arts professional, these leaders and their impressive careers got me thinking about my own career, and the path I am taking to accomplish my goals.
So, the topic for our April 27th #artsmgtchat is, “The Emerging Leader: Navigating A Career in Arts Management.” Here are the questions for the chat:
- How did you get into the arts management field?
- Why did you become an arts manager?
- What do you find challenging & rewarding about the work you do?
- Do you have a professional development plan? What tools and tactics do you use? (e.g. conferences, memberships, etc)
- To advance in the field, is it beneficial to have a Master’s degree?
- What job search strategies have you utilized to land a position in the arts?
- What advice would you give to emerging arts professionals?
- According to the 2012 Nat’l Arts Index, arts employment remained strong. what is the outlook for your organization this year?
Here are the logistics for the chat:
- Follow @artsmgtchat on Twitter. I will use this Twitter account to ask the questions above.
- Use the hashtag #artsmgtchat to monitor the conversation and answer questions.
- The chat will be from 2:00 to 3:00EST on Friday, April 27.
Hope to see you then! In the meantime, enjoy this video on nonprofit arts management. You’re welcome!🙂